November 7, 2016

Week Number 4

Sawadii Khap! Another week down here. Thanks for the packages Matt and Sarah Woll fam and momma! It came in a time of need. I had to ask some of the Elders here what some of them where. I've never seen DayQuil before. The struggle to stay awake is real here. The 2nd Counselor in my branch falls asleep all the time. I always ask my teachers if I give them 10 dollars will they get me some food but they never do. The wraps are just ight. When I was learning the numbers in Thai, for 8 I kept on saying ocho instead of baad but that's pretty much it. I forgot all my Spanish here it's all Thai in my head. Oh I also knew the investigator was fake and now we call him Bi Da or royal father cause he's our teacher.

During one of the lessons when we were learning script, one of the teachers who's from Thailand named Sister Khawmxxnnooy (I have no clue how to spell it) said it only took 12 minutes to learn the vowels and I said 12 minutes just like her and it might've sounded wrong cause i did it in an accent like but she didn't hear. I didn't mean to do it. Brother Yuen the other teacher in the room started dying though. I'm starting to learn Script. It comes from Sandscript and it has a lot of dumb rules like English like silent letters and two consonants together makes a different sound and there's implied o's and a's between them. It's hard. Also there's no space in between words so it's like reading Hashtags but you don't even know the words so you can't seperate it. #thislanguagerocks. Learning this language has humbled me which is good because through humility comes conversion and my testimony has grown a lot. I know I can't learn this language without God's help. We were talking to some of the Khon Thais or native Thai people here and they talk so fast and I had no clue what they were saying. But it was pretty cool. I keep on seeing people that I know here. 

We had a companion swap yesterday and it went alright. I was with Elder King and he's pretty cool. Our lesson didn't go too well. They did it to prepare us for our mission in the field. Our lessons with my actual companion are going better. It's weird feeling the spirit when I'm talking in Thai. Our investigators all are getting baptized. Brother Yuen is really good at acting. One of our investigators (Braaduh May is how you pronounce it) is scared of water because he can't swim so he didn't wanna get baptized. I tried hard not to laugh and told him the water was nii noy or small. My companion didn't understand what he was saying though and I didn't know he didn't till after. We taught some return missionaries for TRC's about receiving revelation through prayer and it went way better than last week. Idk the comments they had cause they wrote it in some bad Thai handwriting but hopefully it was good.    
Elder Juan A. Uceda talked to us about not seeing the investigator as a number but as a person. He also told his own conversion story and how it affected his life. A lot of times missionaries go to teach an investigator and they teach lessons. You teach people not lessons. He also said teaching is not talking. So you have to be doing things and not just talking. It made me reflect on what i teach to my investigators. If you want me to respond to you use email cause I don't really want to write a letter haha.

How is Serph doing. Is he super dark? It feels like I been here forever. We watched a weird pioneer movie called "Legacy" it had really bad acting but it was pretty cool. Another cool thing is the Malaysia Missionaries have to lie when they get into their country because missionaries aren't allowed there. Some of the first Vietnamese missionaries are in our zone and their language sounds cool. Anyways love y'all and miss you.

Elder Decker


The Missionary Squad on some construction equipment. Everything is under Construction here. ​
​​

No comments:

Post a Comment