December 3, 2017

Ayutthaya to Bankapi

Hello everybody!

This past couple weeks have been awesome like usual. Last week was transfers and we went to an Island in Chonburi. It was fun. I went there before. 

Sari came to church last Sunday and his wife walked in during the prayer and threw keys at him. 

Transfers came and I moved to Bangkapi. It's in Bangkok, and there's a lot of people. We live in a one room apartment. It's so small. It's right behind the big mall here. The mall has Christmas lights so it's cool. The guards are dressed up like Santa Clause. Not a lot of people know what Christmas is actually. I guess that's all around the world. My companion is Elder Bevan and he's from Nephi, Utah. He's been on a mission for a year I think.

The church is a 45 minute bus ride from our house so it's not convenient. I really like it here though. The members are way cool.  I know a lot from the Office and Asoke. No more riding bikes!

We taught a blind Burmese man the other day. He's really cool. His name is Aong (Awe-ng). We're teaching another person who is from Laos. Her name is Pam and we teach her at the university by our apartment. 

Last Sunday, we taught a Sister who is currently in the Islam religion. She really liked church and was asking when we could meet again. It was way cool. 

This week for I want to talk about the first verse, in the first chapter, in the first book, in the Book of Mormon. 1 Nephi 1:1 It says:

1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

I've read it so many times but it's such a good start to the Book of Mormon. Nephi was taught by goodly parents to trust and obey God. I'm assuming the other brothers (Sam, Laman, and Lemuel) were taught by his father also but it doesn't say so. Laman and Lemuel are the disobedient children but they also were taught by their father, Lehi. Nephi became a prophet and Sam was just kinda there but he was also righteous and obedient to the teachings of his father who was the prophet. No one blames Lehi for Laman and Lemuel's transgressions and disobedience to the Lord's commandments. They were taught the right things but they just chose not to follow it. Lehi was way sad when he had the vision and saw that Laman and Lemuel weren't going to partake of the fruit, but he still continued to love them and teach them the commandments and bless them. 

We can do all we can to teach people the right path to eternal happiness, but at the end of the day they have agency which is a gift God gives to all of us. It's been very frustrating on my mission seeing all these people who receive a witness it is true, but they turn away and don't take the step of faith and be baptized. There is members that don't go to church anymore even though they know it's true. It's really sad. But the only thing we can do is keep loving them and having hope that one day they will accept the truth. Jesus Christ is the light and the way and by following him we will recieve eternal happiness. 

I love you all and miss everyone! Until next time...  

Pics: A river and a boat which is Thailand, A big grasshopper, Transfer 10 of mah mission, the road up to the temple on the island, the temple, and the view of the summit

Elder Decker
เอ็ลเดอร์ เดกเกอร์
Thailand Bangkok Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment