January 29, 2017

Fwd: I Think It's Going to Rain

Begin forwarded message:

From: Colby John Decker <colby.decker@myldsmail.net>
Date: January 29, 2017 at 7:30:08 PM PST
To: Robin Decker <Robinlynnd@gmail.com>
Subject: I Think It's Going to Rain

วัสดีครับ!!! This week has been so good. First, I want to talk about the title "I Think It's Going to Rain" because I think it's funny. So in Thailand the weather is a big deal for them for some reason and if it rains they say they can't do anything cause I guess they're all allergic to it or something. But we were taught a way to avoid questions and redirect the conversation. We get a lot of questions about if my daughter is attractive or not, or if we like Trump and it puts us in a weird situation. So our Zone Leader taught us a way to get out of these situations. You ask them "Is it going to rain?" or say something about the rain and they'll tell you, "it's not going to rain", and you say "It definitely will rain" and they forgot what they asked before. It works, I've tested it a couple times already. I honestly don't know how to answer those questions. But I think it's going to rain.

This week has been so much fun. I already talked about last P-Day, but Brother Day's Grandma was so cool. His dad actually doesn't know his whole family is getting baptized so we asked him to tell him because his dad is working as a chef in Taiwan and doesn't realize his whole family is getting baptized haha. It would be funny to come back and find out his whole family is Christian.

I ate a dried prick or a dried pepper that burnt my mouth for days and my stomach felt burnt for a couple days too, so there was that. Coco Buns are really good I'm addicted to them. We taught a guy named Isis sitting on the platform of a spirit house. One of our investigators wanted to learn about Jesus and Christianity because of Assassin's Creed. We're teaching a guy who makes Golden Trees that Buddhists worship. He does it just to Tham Buun. It's not his living. It's interesting. I love English class. I still can't speak English. The word for rose in Thai isn't pretty at all. Its Dog Gu Laab. We have a lot of appointments cancel on us because no one really has time. It's hot and it's cold season here. Apparently I'm handsome for an American. 

I went on a switch off with the District Leader and it was cool. We visited this Less Active member who has a ton of faith, just doesn't go to church, same with her family. I don't really understand it. They have a car and everything but the Dad isn't baptized and isn't interested so it's hard. Sunday we had an hour of church where we talked about getting more involved in missionary work. They have a lot of good ideas just need to put some action into it. My favorite person in the world is Brother Tea. Humblest guy I know. We visited a less active who asked us where our spirits come from in Pre-Earth life and we asked him if it was gonna rain. Haha. Just kidding. We didn't really know how to explain it well enough and didn't want to get to into it. He's a really cool guy named Brother Bob who works for Fabrinet. That was my week pretty much haha.

So last Friday, we had a Missionary Broadcast which was really good. Our schedules changed so now we have an hour at night to either sleep early or study. But there was something that Elder Bednar said in it that I really liked. I've been thinking lately, why do people not feel the spirit I'm feeling or why don't they accept the things I'm saying through the Holy Ghost because it is there. Why can't they recognize it and want to change. But he said we can do all we can to bring it unto the hearts of the people, but we can't bring it into. It's their choice to accept the Gospel and have a desire to feel what is there in the lesson. You can't deny the evidence of the Holy Ghost if you've felt it before. People recognize it even if they've never heard about God before or Jesus Christ before and the Holy Ghost. It's a burning sensation and a peace and happiness that only the Gospel and the Truth brings and that's why this work is so successful. Good will always conquer evil. I was talking to one of the members here about why they got baptized and she said it just made sense. The Gospel just makes sense really. Everything else doesn't make sense. If we're following the teachings of Jesus Christ, things make more sense and we can be guided on the path to live with God again. This Gospel changes peoples lives and I've seen it in so many people here. It's a beautiful thing. I love it here in the other side of the world. Miss and Love you all!

Sorry I don't have a lot of pictures this week but that's our church that holds over 100 people

Elder Decker
เอ็ลเดอร์ เดคเคอร์
Thailand Bangkok Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment