January 9, 2017

Fwd: English Camp and Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam

Begin forwarded message:

From: Colby John Decker <colby.decker@myldsmail.net>
Date: January 9, 2017 at 1:05:52 AM PST
To: Robin Decker <Robinlynnd@gmail.com>
Subject: English Camp and Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam

Hello Everyone! This past week I've been thinking about how I get to be a missionary for the entire year of 2017. It's so much fun. This week has been such a good week. Last Tuesday, I got a call from one of our potentials telling me that she wants to meet and to teach her kids or (deg deg in Thai). So on Wednesday, I was on a switch off with an Elder from the group that came 6 weeks before me. So we hardly know that much Thai or enough just to manage. I get to the place after taking forever to find it and it's a little Christian preschool with a bunch of 4-6 year olds. I was so confused because I thought we were going to teach a family but it turned out she meant her students. So they wanted us to teach a little short story about Jesus and a song. So we shared about Jesus loves everyone and wants you to love everyone and I'm pretty sure the little kids had no clue what we were saying but it was fun. Than they wanted us to sing with them and I was like we have just the right song and I taught them how to sing Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam in English. It brought me back to Primary. I told them to jump every time they heard sunbeam and they had so much energy. But yeah they want us to come back but we can't because we're not allowed to. But it was fun. Later that day we bumped into one of our investigators and asked him if he wanted to eat with us. The power went out and we ended up eating a candlelight dinner. It was really fun. I also met a lady that wants me to tiaw (sight see) with her and she calls me all the time. I tell her to come tiaw at the church at 9 am on Sunday haha. She didn't come though.
Last Friday, we had a service project where we went to a Massage University to teach English. So we had 6 Elders go to a school to teach English from 9-4 and most of the students were 19-21 year old, mostly girl, college students who spoke a little English. Each companionship had a class and our class was to help them pronounce hard sounds in English for Thai people. Like R's and V's. I Really liked that part. We played games with them and I led them in the Cha Cha Slide in the end. The purpose of it was to get them more confident in their English. We invited them all to our English Class and said a prayer before and after the camp. It was a great opportunity to show that we are actually people and not some crazy foreigners who want to convert you. Thailand isn't what I expected it to be haha.
Saturday, we met with an investigator (Sister Ice) who is having problems and hadn't met us in weeks. She has been taking the lessons for some time now and is sort of making excuses for not keeping the commandments. But she's reading the scriptures and praying everyday. It's cool to see all the changes people make in the conversion process.
Sunday, I was sitting in church waiting for it to start and Brother Tea walked in who I thought was in Cambodia for two weeks. So he ended up getting the Holy Ghost in Cambodian which was cool. He came home early because he missed me. He's such a cool guy. After church we went to the Vietnamese Family apartment room thingy. They are a recently baptized "family". Both families came here from Vietnam and are refugees and are going to apply to move somewhere else in the world. It's so sad all of the refugees in the world. I'm glad I have the opportunity to serve all of these families in need of help. They are all sick with some sort of disease. Some forget stuff like how to eat and how to put on clothes and some half of their body gets paralyzed. So they asked for a blessing and the spirit was really strong in that little room. We taught Brother Bawg and his family and he's getting baptized next week. He's such a happy, cute, little older guy. His family is being taught the lessons too. I'm blessed that I get to teach that cute family. He's so cool.  
This week I was studying about obedience and came across D&C 93:24, 26-28 and it reads
24) And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come;
26) The Spirit of truth is of God. I am the Spirit of truth,and John bore record of me, saying: He received a fulness of truth, yea, even of all truth;
27) And no man receiveth a fulness unless he keepeth his commandments. 
28) He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and knoweth all things.
It's a simple message. If you keep the commandments your questions and testimony will be answered and strengthened and you'll continue to learn and grow and understand more truths about the Gospel. People who follow the commandments are happy and are blessed. People who go out and party all the time and do bad things aren't happy and why would you not want happiness in your life. It's so much better to have joy than to be sad, or have that worldy "happiness" that you get from breaking the commandments because it brings you temporary pleasure. It's not happiness. Wickedness never was happiness. On that happy note if you follow the commandments, you're on the straight and narrow path that leads to eternal happiness :). Love you all and miss you all!!!

Elder Decker
เอ็ลเดอร์ เดคเคอร์
Thailand Bangkok Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment