May 28, 2018

Me llamo Felipe

Hello again. Shout out to whoever reads these still. I can't stop now that I've done it for the past 2 years so they'll keep coming. 
My week was awesome. It rained every single day with no fail. I guess it's rainy season. 

Monday, we went to this temple for P Day. There's a lot of those in Thailand kinda like Utah but less mormony and more buddhisty. For FHE, we went to this member's house that is through a small alley and stuck in between two houses, who is missing a hand. She recently has been baptized and loves reading the scriptures and gospel related stuff. 

Tuesday, we had a district meeting, which includes Sakon Nakhon which is like 4 hours away from us. It's a big district. They video called in because it's unreasonable for them to travel 8 hours for district meeting. We met with one of our investigators who can't really walk but she has a family and likes to pray and read in the scriptures. English Class... still can't teach or speak English.

Wednesday, we contacted a whole bunch.

Thursday, we had a lot of canceled appointments but we met with a guy that we've been trying to meet with for awhile. He drives taxis and we taught him when he was driving. He's interesting and likes to talk. But he wants to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ which is awesome!

Friday, we met with the investigator that wants to fight in the U.S. war in the Middle East. He's funny. He's willing to keep the commandments though so he'll be good. At night, I had to interview someone for baptism but stuff happened so I didn't have to at the last second and he shows up to the church and asks us if we want to go drink some milk. So we go out and get in his car and his girlfriend is there too, so we had the opportunity to meet his girlfriend and get some shakes.
 
Saturday, same stuff. 

Sunday, church, and good green curry. We went to this member's house to give him the sacrament who helped start the church in Thailand and bring it to Khon Kaen. He is in pretty bad shape and is blind and going deaf and can't walk. But he's still excited to be able to partake of the sacrament and in his prayers he's always blessing missionary work and even asking for missionary opportunities himself. His testimony is still strong. He's the only member in his family but his children respect him and his faith. It's way cool to see but also sad that his family hasn't opened their hearts yet to the Gospel. 

Which leads to my spiritual thoughts or thoughts that I've been thinking about lately.
Nearing the end of my mission I've had the opportunity to meet and teach many people of all different sizes, shapes, colors, backgrounds, etc. My purpose as a missionary is to bring the Gospel to the people here in Thailand. There has been more rejection than acceptance, of course, of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ here.  Not everyone is going to accept the Gospel and Jesus Christ. They all have their agency. It's a beautiful thing, Agency. It's a gift from God. It's the only way we can learn how to become like God. The sad part is when they reject you, they aren't rejecting you as a person, but the message you have which is Jesus Christ. People will make good and bad choices. We can't control other's actions. Sometimes I wish I could, especially knowing that the Gospel will bring them happiness. It will bring them Eternal Life. The hardest thing on my mission hasn't been the heat, or the rain, or waking up at 6:30 everyday, or even being away from my family (sorry mom). It's been when I've invited people to come unto Christ, and they've rejected it. They have rejected happiness and Eternal Life. They've rejected the blessings that God has in store for them. He's been watching them all their lives and waiting for them to open their hearts and accept his son Jesus Christ and pour his blessings down his blessings on them. That's what has been the hardest part of my mission. They're missing out on all of His blessings. ​​​​​​​​​​ But the greatest joy I've ever felt, which far outweighs the sadness, is when someone opens their heart, and accepts Jesus Christ. They accept His teachings. Being able to see the conversion in people's lives has been so amazing to me. The change the Gospel of Jesus Christ has on people's lives is a testimony to me that it's all true. Jesus is the Christ. Keeping the commandments brings blessings and happiness. God is our loving Heavenly Father. Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God and restored the Church of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is true. Helping people come to this point, in their own personal testimony, has been something I never would've imagined before my mission. It's such a beautiful thing. I'm grateful for my time as a missionary and for all the blessings I've received. My hope is that everyone, in their own time, will accept Jesus Christ, and return to live with our Heavenly Father again. Maybe it's not now, maybe it's a little farther down the road. Hope is what keeps me going, even on the roughest of days. Thank you all for you prayers! I love you all and hope everyone has a superb week!

Pics: Temple we visited, the year of the ox, I had lasagna for the first time in years, and Khon Kaen Traffic

Elder Decker
เอ็ลเดอร์ เดกเกอร์
Thailand Bangkok Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment