December 18, 2016

Fwd: Oh Holy Night

Begin forwarded message:

From: Colby John Decker <colby.decker@myldsmail.net>
Date: December 18, 2016 at 8:17:39 PM PST
To: Robin Decker <Robinlynnd@gmail.com>
Subject: Oh Holy Night

สวัสดี! How is everyone doing! This week has been a good normal one. I didn't do anything crazy for P-Day just went to Indian Town. I didn't even know there was such a thing. Got some cool fabric to make into ties for Christmas.
On Tuesday, we went to Asoke for our interviews. Someone in our district got assigned to be a Zone leader so we had another emergency transfer. Someone from Laos came in to take his place. I teach the intermediate class in English class now so they can at least speak some sort of English which is nice haha. Still don't know how I passed English class.
On Wednesday, I had a greenie switch off with Elder Bair who came a transfer after me so he's brand new. We taught like 6 lessons that day and some crazy stuff went down. I gave a blessing to a Vietnamese mom who hadn't been to church because sometimes half of her body became paralyzed and she couldn't move. Than we taught a member's dad who isn't a member and he went on a rant on how he can't quit smoking but he hasn't received an answer to his prayer. I told him that how can we expect blessings and answers if we don't keep God's commandments. Than he said it's impossible for him to stop. So it'll be fun continuing to teach him. That day I understood so much more Thai than I ever had before and was a further witness to me that the Lord qualifies those he calls.
On Friday, I went to get my Visa renewed. The place is huuuugggeee. It's like a stadium. But a lot of useless space. Later that day we had to practice for the Christmas party on Saturday because I was an angel in the nativity and they sang Oh Holy Night. I don't like singing but I did it anyways haha. I played piano for it too.
On Saturday, we pretty much spent most the day helping the members with the Christmas Devotional/Nativity/Party thing. It turned out really well. I sang in front of people which was weird. But yeah I was an Angel and sang pretty good. A lot of our investigators came and said they liked it a lot. Brother Tea is so close to baptism he's so cool. He sleeps only 2 hours so he can go to church. He quit drinking coffee as soon as he heard it was bad. He loves the scriptures and loves to serve people. He speaks English and Cambodian and he's so humble. He finds joy in making omelettes for people at his work. He's a stud.
I've been really blessed on my mission and know that God has helped me so much with the language and everything. I've never prayed harder in my life and studied as hard in my life, as I have on my mission. The Lord qualifies those he calls and I have no clue how I can read and speak Thai even though I speak it like a 5 year old. I've experienced an emotional roller coaster since I've left, but I've never been happier in my life serving others and teaching people the Gospel. This has been the best Christmas I've had because I'm not focusing on myself but on others. Once you start turning outward instead of inward you become a much happier person. I love the Gospel. I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have the Gospel in my life. It's a gift that everyone should have but a lot don't know about it. The Harvest is bountiful but the Laborers are few. Keep spreading the Gospel through your actions and words! I love and miss y'all!!!


Elder Decker
เอ็ลเดอร์ เดคเคอร์
Thailand Bangkok Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment